- Converting the need for information into an answerable question - Asking (the clinical question)
- Tracking down the best evidence to answer the question - Acquiring (literature searching)
- Critically appraising the evidence for it's validity - Appraising (the evidence)
- Integrating the critical appraisal with clinical expertise and patient circumstances - Applying (evidence into practice)
- Evaluating effectiveness and efficiency of Steps 1-4 and seeking improvements - Assessing (evaluation of performance)
Source: Straus, Sharon E. (2011). Evidence based medicine : how to practice and teach EBM / Sharon E. Straus, et al; ((c) David L. Sackert 2000). Edinburgh : Elsevier.