Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Access to online resources for Queensland Health staff.
- Converting the need for information into an answerable question - Asking (the clinical question)
- Tracking down the best evidence to answer the question - Acquiring (literature searching)
- Critically appraising the evidence for it's validity - Appraising (the evidence)
- Integrating the critical appraisal with clinical expertise and patient circumstances - Applying (evidence into practice)
- Evaluating effectiveness and efficiency of Steps 1-4 and seeking improvements - Assessing (evaluation of performance)
Source: Straus, Sharon E. (2011). Evidence based medicine : how to practice and teach EBM / Sharon E. Straus, et al; ((c) David L. Sackert 2000). Edinburgh : Elsevier.